Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bikey of Reading FC talks about slave trade

One of the few players in European pro leagues that I've even heard talking publicly about the football slave trade, Andrey Bikey of Reading FC, originally Cameroon, is quoted in the Modern Ghana News, March 5, 2008:
“I never went to a football academy; I started playing at school and near my home. I played for a third-division team and it was only when I was selected for the Cameroon under-17 team that I started to take football seriously. During a tournament in Italy the Espanyol manager invited me to a trial; now I've played in Spain, Portugal, Moscow and England.

“Many European teams go to Africa to watch boys with a view to bringing them to their clubs. It used to be only a few players, but now, every year in Cameroon, many children are brought to Europe for trials. A lot of young players in Paris have nothing; they have come from Africa and if their trial doesn't go well they are left on the streets. Some agent will pick up the kid and take them to Europe, and if it doesn't work out they abandon them.

Young players in Africa do need more help and more attention.”
Not the most critical sentiment against the practice, but the only I've located from a star player.

No comments:

Post a Comment